The Columbus Region is a hub for the retail and transportation industries nationwide.
Through truck, rail, air and port, the Columbus Region logistics infrastructure gets freight where it needs to be, when it needs to be there. That’s why Inbound Logistics ranks Columbus as one of the nation’s logistics hotspots.
At the heart of this economic driver is the Columbus Region Logistics Council. The Council was formed by industry leaders in 2008 to serve as the regional catalyst for the growth of the region’s logistics capability. The Council is an initiative of the Chamber, and the Chamber works closely with the Council to drive implementation of a strategic roadmap that will continue to grow this tremendous asset.
The logistics road map outlines four key strategies:
Foster a logistics friendly business environment
- Create singular entity as catalyst for industry growth
- Improve regional economic development “tool kits”
- Establish Central Ohio logistics brand
- Develop regional active marketing and attraction effort
- Foster logistics business networks and seminars
- Foster entrepreneurial growth
- Create Center for International Logistics Market Research
Continue to Develop Advanced Logistics Infrastructure
- Initiate roadway improvements surrounding Rickenbacker Airport development
- Implement required road/rail infrastructure improvements to enhance intermodal activities
- Establish regional drop-lot/trailer parking infrastructure
- Perform comprehensive examination of Internet/utility infrastructure surrounding Rickenbacker Airport
- Attract international air freight landing
- Establish public transportation to Rickenbacker area
Infuse World-Class Logistics Technology into Region
- Increase awareness and expertise in advanced logistics technologies via targeted education campaign
- Recruit a corporate center of logistics R&D
- Develop an industry and applications focused Logistics Solutions Center
- Become regional pilot site for U.S. DOT’s Electronic Freight Management Initiative
Build High Skill Workforce for Competitive Advantage
- Develop logistics-related occupational needs assessment
- Educate Ohioans on wide range of logistics occupations
- Develop an employee “pipeline” via structured curriculum, marketing, and career programs
- Create career pathways
- Implement initiatives for advancing skills in high-impact jobs
Learn more about the Columbus Region Logistics Council by contacting Jeff Zimmerman, Director at 614.225.6086 or email@example.com. You can also join us on the Columbus Region Logistics Council LinkedIn group.