For Immediate Release
What’s happening at the Columbus Chamber and with our members? In this section you will find a complete catalog of our recent and archived press releases.
To arrange an interview with a member of the Columbus Chamber team, contact:
Michelle Bretscher, APR
Director, Marketing and Communication
August 01, 2012
Chamber Encouraging Participation in Champions of Democracy Program
An announcement from the Columbus Chamber Government Relations team:
The Franklin County Board of Elections is reaching out to the corporate community to find enthusiastic, detail-oriented associates who are active in their community and would be willing to serve as poll workers in the upcoming November election. We here at the Columbus Chamber of Commerce have met with officials from the Franklin County BOE and we want to encourage our corporate members to consider participating in the Champions of Democracy program. We agree that the best way to help our democratic process (in addition to voting) is to serve as a poll worker on Election Day.
Through the Champions of Democracy program that was established in 2004, The Board of Elections has recruited and trained hundreds of poll workers from companies such as AEP, Nationwide, and The Ohio State University. Some organizations have provided paid leave while others require employees to take vacation or other leave time to participate.
There is no cost associated with participating and each poll worker receives compensation from Franklin County (at least $148 for training and Election Day services). Each Champion of Democracy organization will be recognized in a Columbus Dispatch ad following the election.
Here’s how the program works:
- Your organization provides a minimum of 15 employees to serve on Election Day (11/6/2012)
- The Board of Elections (BOE) will dedicate a day to visit your location, set up a display to promote Champions of Democracy and help recruit your associates for the program, as well as give them the opportunity to register to vote in November’s election
- The BOE will provide you with pre-printed posters and flyers to promote Champions of Democracy
- At a later date, the BOE will hold a 3-hr. training class at your location to teach your employees election procedures to ensure that they are fully prepared to serve
- The BOE staff will be available to assist you throughout the entire process
In order to serve on Election Day, each employee must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen and a registered Franklin County voter
- Have transportation to the polls
- Work from 5:30 AM to at least 8:00 PM on Election Day
Thank you for taking the time to consider this opportunity. The BOE would be honored to have you join other great companies who call central Ohio “home” and become a Champion of Democracy. If you would like more information, please feel free to contact Steve Bulen via email at email@example.com or by calling 614.525.6635. The Board of Elections looks forward to working with you in an effort to continue to find the best poll workers in Franklin County to serve during the upcoming election!
More Information can be found at the follow site. http://vote.franklincountyohio.gov/precinct-official/