In the News
We are getting noticed around the region and the globe. Read how the Columbus Chamber, our members and the Columbus business community are making headlines.
To arrange an interview with a member of the Columbus Chamber team, contact:
Michelle Bretscher, APR
Vice President, Marketing and Communication
W: (614) 225.6908
November 13, 2012
Safelite AutoGlass Wins Optimas Award from Workforce for "People First" Initiative
From a Safelite press release:
Safelite AutoGlass® has earned a 2012 Optimas Award from Workforce for its People First HR initiative.
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Nov. 13, 2012 - Safelite AutoGlass®, the nation’s largest provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, has earned a 2012 Optimas Award from Workforce for its People First HR initiative.
“Workforce's goal is to show how leaders in the HR profession are guiding their companies to greater success through the astute management of an organization's most valuable corporate asset—its employees,” said Andrea Whitney, director of content strategy from Workforce. “The Optimas Award winners are workforce management leaders who have identified critical business issues in their organizations and responded with initiatives that are key to the company's success.”
Three years ago, Steve Miggo, senior vice president of operations and HR at Safelite®, recognized that as a growth company with a relatively short-term goal of doubling business and then doubling again, Safelite® needed to become a company that thinks “People First.” The company introduced the People First strategy with the objective of driving business performance by having an obsessive focus on having talented people who are inspired to deliver great results.
As such, Safelite® introduced its Six Core Competencies:
- Live Our Values: Do what is right.
- Think People First: Understand the importance of having talented people to drive the success of the business.
- Have Passion for Creating Customer Delight: The word "customer" means external customers as well as internal customers.
- Understand the Business (and your role in it): Effective performers consistently demonstrate the functional skills required by their position and align their efforts with our wider vision, strategy and plans for the long-term.
- Be Innovative: Think differently for better business results.
- Drive for Extraordinary Results: Show personal desire, energy and focus to succeed against high standards, whether the task at hand is large or small.
Results since implementing People First have been positive:
- Within a tough economic climate where engagement dropped in companies across the country by an average of two to three points; Safelite’s third annual People Opinion Survey showed overall engagement increased by 5 percentage points, reaching the top 25% best-in-class industry results.
- Net Promoter Scores (customer satisfaction survey) have also reached an all-time high of 85% in 2011.
- During a tough economic climate in 2011, Safelite® delivered record sales of $1.1 billion, effectively reaching the goal of doubling business.
About Safelite AutoGlass®
Safelite AutoGlass®, founded in 1947, is the nation’s leading provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, providing mobile service to more than 95 percent of the U.S. population in all 50 states. The Columbus, Ohio-based company employs nearly 10,000 people across the United States and served more than 4.4 million customers last year. For more information, visit www.safelite.com.
About Workforce’s Optimas Award
Since 1991, the annual Optimas Awards celebrate HR's success at solving some of the biggest business challenges of our time. Each year, 10 Optimas Awards are given by Workforce Management to recognize human resources and workforce management initiatives that achieve business results for the organization. The award is given in the following categories: Financial Impact, Global Outlook, Innovation, Managing Change, Partnership, Corporate Citizenship, Service, Vision, Competitive Advantage, and General Excellence. Judges look for organizations whose initiatives have a strong human resources component and an emphasis on bottom-line business results. For more information, visit www.Workforce.com.